Everything has its pros and cons. This rule also stands true for the important hormone melatonin, responsible for regulating sleep cycle.
Why use Melatonin in the first place?
The melatonin hormone triggers sleepiness in an individual and lack of it causes insomnia. This is a common problem for the elderly people. To recover from this, melatonin supplements are given to those who are suffering from the same.
These hormones work well to give a quick recovery for sleep disorders; however, there are some potential side effects too if melatonin is subjected to long-term use. Therefore, users should keep an eye if they are encountering a few changes because of melatonin treatments or not.
Melatonin is, indeed, the most preferred sleep aid and a standout amongst the most prevalent OTC tranquilizers as using it is not addictive at all. However, the FDA does not stringently regulate these kinds of supplements.
Based on the user experiences, melatonin side effects include quick exhaustion, tipsiness, migraine, irritability, and sleepiness. Also, these can be caused by factors like jet lag and not necessarily melatonin. So before you decide to jump on the Melatonin bandwagon and buy melatonin read our research below:
When to avoid melatonin?
Melatonin supplements should only be taken after consulting with the doctor. Also, make sure not to exceed the prescribed dosage.
Besides, you should stay away from melatonin supplements if:
- You are taking drugs for blood-thinning, migraine medicines such aspirin and heparin.
- You have neurological problems and are taking anti-epileptic medications.
- Maybe you are experiencing depression or any other psychological issues.
- Have Type 1 diabetes.
- You are either pregnant or have recently, became a mother.
The side effects of melatonin
Last year, the National Institute of Health reported that 3.1 million people in USA used melatonin supplements to cure their insomnia. Long-term and consistent usage of these melatonin supplements are liable for bringing some unwanted effects which can show the below symptoms –
- Abnormalities in blood clotting procedure.
- Increased risk of seizures but lowered seizure immunity. This is highly detrimental to children with serious neurological issues. Numerous studies have provided conflicting reports of a decreased rate of seizure with frequent melatonin utilization.
- It can also trigger frequent mood swings, often leading to depression.
- Perplexity, sleepwalking and bad dreams are other signs. Luckily, these symptoms can be resolved by halting the use of melatonin.
- Hallucinations can take place by overdosing melatonin. Individuals with existing depression or psychological issues must be under medical supervision.
- For men, expansion of male breasts can initiate along with lessening sperm count. Also, these can be reversed by stopping the medications.
- It is also advised not to take melatonin during pregnancy as it increases the risk of disorders.
- The use of melatonin can also cause Type 1 diabetes by reducing the tolerance level of glucose in the blood.
As mentioned earlier, consulting doctors is a must while consuming melatonin-rich products; however, make sure the doctor is aware of every little detail of your past medical history. If consumed with the right dosage these type of melatonin sleeping aids can work wonders.